Greetings from freezing cold, wet and rainy Cape Town. That’s a small problem compared to what I have to share with you today. Child Protection Week runs from May 28th to June 3rd, and it’s a week where you can help. Violence against children is an incredibly important matter and with your help, you could save a child.
Thousands of South African babies, boys and girls fall victim to abuse, neglect and exploitation, and the offenders are not being punished. Taking a look at the facts is a really big wake up call:
- 54 225 crimes against children reported in 2010/2011.
- About half of those cases were sexual offences: 28 128.
- Around 30% of sex crimes against children involve victims under 10 years of age.
- Over 900 children were murdered during the period.
- Research has shown that in most abuse cases, the offenders are known to the children.
These statistics are from the South African Police Service.
What often happens, however, is that crimes against children are grossly underreported and the real figure is much higher. UNICEF’s newly launched ‘Believe in Zero’ campaign highlights the role that everyone – not only the authorities – has to play in the protection of children. Believe in Zero is a vision for a future where no child suffers violence, sexual assault and other forms of cruelty and crime.
“South Africa’s levels of violence against children are among the highest in the world. Tens of thousands of children are victims of abuse, neglect and exploitation every year – and offenders often go unpunished,” says Aida Girma, UNICEF Representative.
UNICEF have designed a Facebook app which urges people to express their support, upload photos or videos, post messages and engage their networks on the goal of zero child abuse.
Among those people who share their views through the app, one passionate supporter will be given the chance to take a field trip with UNICEF to see first-hand how the organisation works with partners – and children themselves – towards the fulfillment of child rights.
You can also donate to the campaign to help UNICEF:
- Prevent: aim for zero abuse…early intervention and prevention are key.
- Protect: it is everyone’ business – see every child as your child.
- Prosecute: abuse is criminal. Prosecution – not impunity – for offenders.
These children need your help!
iMod Digital PTY LTD made and donation and I challenge all of you to!
If you make a donation, pop in a comment below and I’ll include a link to your company/personal website in this post!
Here are some folks who have donated: