piece written on the 9th December 2013 by  

It was only a few years ago that I decided to move on over to Apple as my preferred supplier of hardware. After using Windows since about 199x (Win 3.1 I think it was) I managed to learn a great deal about the operating system, each time something went wrong (a lot went wrong) I was usually able to troubleshoot and solve the problem. However, with Apple products the problems never happened and using a Mac (along with all the other awesome iDevices) was an absolute pleasure. The problem is, with Windows I learnt all the troubleshooting bits and pieces, but when something serious goes wrong on a Mac it’s a big problem because I don’t know all the troubleshooting bits and pieces.

Recently Apple launched OSX Mavericks, it’s always exciting when they release something, so I quickly downloaded it, enjoyed a seamless install and fell in love with some of the new features. However, about three weeks ago things started going wrong – Preview, TextEdit, Calendar, Terminal, The App Store and so the list goes on, just stopped working. I’d click on the application or I’d try to open a file with the application, it would pop up in the dock for a few seconds, bounce around and then vanish. As you can imagine, not being able to use the default Mac apps was becoming a large hinderance.

Mavericks Fail

Hours and hours of searching for solutions online didn’t get me anywhere. Solutions that involved deleting Containers in your Library didn’t help, terminal commands weren’t possible as Terminal didn’t work, the App Store wouldn’t work and myriad of other things just seemed to make matters worse. Mac Console did work and I turned to that for some log snooping which set me off on a new tangent that landed me at some forums with guys who know Macs pretty darn well. A lot of reading and I finally found something about Base.lproj files that could potentially be missing for the applications and this solved the problem – you can imagine my relief.

So, if this has happened to you, let me help you solve it.

  1. Open up your Applications folder on your Mac HD.
  2. Right click on an application that isn’t working and select “Show Package Contents”.
  3. A folder window will pop up.
  4. Click through to the “Contents” folder and then through to the “Resources” folder.
  5. In this folder you are meant to have a Base.Iproj folder (amongst a lot of other files/folders), if you don’t, there lies the problem.

The solution is rather simple, you have two choices:

  1. Reinstall your version of OSX, or
  2. Get the files from someone who has them (or below)

I went with option 2 which involved the following:

  1. Download the Base.Iproj folder (from below or via a friend).
  2. Unpack it.
  3. Paste the folder into the Resources folder for the application in question.
  4. Rinse, repeat for the other applications.

It turns out that the problem is caused by CleanMyMac and interestingly CleanMyMac are aware of the problem and are working on a solution! From what I’ve read, it is related to removing unnecessary languages on Mavericks. Incredibly frustrating and a huge nightmare to track down and solve.

Here are the Base.Iproj files you will need:

Again, just download them, unpack them and place them in the “Resources” folder after right-clicking on the application, choosing “Show Content Package” and clicking through the “Contents” folder.

If you’re reading this and have had this problem, I really hope this solution works for you. I cannot believe how many days and hours I wasted trying to figure out this problem.

Now I wish I could get Adobe Fireworks CS5 to work again – Photoshop and Dreamweaver work, but Fireworks bounces for a few seconds and vanishes right away..