ANNOUNCING: IFIII


Investing & Money
piece written on the 26th February 2015 by  

If you’re a follower of my blog you’ll know that I spend 90% of my time working on my company with a great group of people, but in the other 10% I like to build things. You’ll also know that I’ve got a huge fascination with personal finance and the quest to retiring comfortably. I’ve written an assortment of blog posts on how I’ve done things, what I’m planning on doing and how I feel people should be doing it based on my research.

A few days ago I received a call from a well-known radio station that wanted to interview me live on air to discuss my findings in the financial world. I was really excited but really sad to turn down the offer, I just couldn’t commit as someone who has no qualification and therefore cannot legally give advise. I’m not quite sure on the legalities and the difference between giving an opinion and actually advising, but I didn’t want to take that risk, nor did I want to potentially put the radio in a difficult position.

This was all really sad because we’ve just launched, what I feel is, a really useful web application called IFIII – If I Invested In. The premise is incredibly straight forward: If I had invest R500 a month 5 years ago in XYZ, what would I have made? That’s it, you fill in your details and a number is popped out. Here’s a look at the form:

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 7.41.16 PM

Once you’ve entered in your deposit, chosen a fund, input the escalation, monthly debit order amount, the period and your financial advisor’s fee, you give the Calculate button a click and out comes the answer:

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 7.42.40 PM

If you look closely you’ll see that there are a few other features:

  • You can compare the results to another fund to see the difference in earnings.
  • You can share the result with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc. to educate them.
  • You can choose to click and then go and invest in the selected fund.

We built the application to educate people and show them what they could have earned had they started investing earlier. It is a world wide problem that people start saving too late and this is causing a massive problem in general for our economy. By educating people to invest earlier, we can make a difference and that’s what all of this is about.

We are not licensed to give advise nor do we earn commissions for referring people to asset managers, that’s not what this is about. Who knows what the future holds but right now it’s all about creating education and getting people to start saving immediately!

Here’s to hoping you find this useful! Click here to give it a whirl and please do us a favour and share it with your friends :)